Bar was started at Qila Mubarak in the year 1952-1953. Inaugurated by CM Brish Bhan Pepsu. Then it was shifted to Government Girls senior secondary school near Gole Diggi in the year 1954-55. Finally to the court complex in the year 1956 inaugurated by Mehtab singh Gill, acting chief justice of Punjab and Haryana.
The District Bar Association is a statutory body created by Parliament to regulate. We perform the regulatory function by prescribing standards of professional conduct and etiquette and by exercising disciplinary jurisdiction over the bar.
In addition, we perform certain representative functions by protecting the rights, privileges and interests of advocates and through the creation of funds for providing financial assistance to organize welfare schemes for them.
The following statutory functions:
• To lay down standards of professional conduct and etiquette for advocates.
• To lay down procedure to be followed by its disciplinary committee and the disciplinary committees of each State Bar Council.
• To safeguard the rights, privileges and interests of advocates.
• To promote and support law reform.
• To conduct seminars and talks on legal topics by eminent jurists and publish journals and papers of legal interest.
• To organize legal aid to the poor.
• To manage and invest the funds of the Bar Council.
• To provide for the election of its members who shall run the Bar Councils.
The District Bar Association can also constitute funds for the following purposes:
•Giving financial assistance to organize welfare schemes for poor, disabled or other advocates,
•Giving legal aid, and
•Establishing law libraries